Thursday, March 12, 2009

SOCCER??

I am going to go down a dangerous road here. I know that the blog is called “The Ultimate American Dream”. Of course I know that. I helped start the blog. A logical question you might ask now is why on Earth am I going to be writing about soccer??

Soccer isn’t an American sport. In fact many Americans would argue it’s not even a sport at all. However, I am obsessed with following soccer. Playing it too. Regardless of your feelings on soccer as an exciting sport to watch you must agree with me on the point that makes this post relevant to our blog. Many of the important soccer games occur during weekday afternoons!

This presents a problem because I am employed. Ridiculously enough, my job duties do not involve going to a bar at 3 in the afternoon to watch soccer. Therefore I am left with a very limited number of options to watch the games, none of which have been working! I have tried going here and watching live streams, but the Windows Media Player feeds never seem to work. The other software that can be used to watch live streams don’t work on my work computer. Alas, I have recently been stuck using ESPN Gamecast to follow matches which is almost more boring than work.

I therefore am stuck watching highlights the next day on sites like soccerblog and footytube.

For those who don’t follow soccer, yesterday and the day before were games in the round of 16 for European championship, the Champions League. Obviously these games are played in primetime in Europe, but that means generally a kick off of 2:45 PM here. Champions League games are always played on weekdays though. For the NFL fans out there, imagine if the NFL playoffs were played during the workday! That’s how I feel every Champions League matchday.

I didn’t get to see the classic 7-6 penalty kick win yesterday for Arsenal. I didn’t get to see my team Liverpool thrash Real Madrid. My job is getting in the way of my passion. Surely there must be a better way…

-S

1 comment:

  1. You know, I'm the last person that would want to watch communist kickball but what a man chooses to do during his workday is up to him. And I think you should have the freedom to watch or do whatever you want while you're on your company's dollar.

    ReplyDelete